This is the second in a series of anti-racism education for anyone who wishes to heal our country, our states, our cities/towns, our neighbourhoods…
This is for those yt people who are working against their fragility. This is for my fellow yt people who wish to #BuildtheBelovedCommunity
In our last session Unlearning White Supremacy 101, we watched videos, and read articles. By now you should have a baseline understanding. Now it’s time to bring that information to others, to share your perspectives, and to enter the conversation with family and friends. In the next session we will work towards then bringing the conversation into our jobs, places of worship, and various other institutions that perpetuate white supremacy, even if they do not recognise it directly.
So my hope with this next list of resources is to get you to the point where you feel comfortable, just enough, to start this work. Yes, there are chances we could lose prestige, our privilege may be degraded, our clout may degenerate; but why? And why should we let those fears hold us back from helping our POC neighbours, friends, and family? They’ve been doing this work since they were born, it’s our turn as white people to feel uncomfortable. It’s our time to own up to the past and present. And it’s time to steep in the nuances, and realities of others less privileged than ourselves.
PREREQUISITES: Unlearning White Supremacy 101. Please begin there, and then work your way through the following.
Please NOTE: Again, this is by far not an exhaustive list. Also, not all of the provided offers a perspective that I agree with 100% but rather reflects the material that I watched and reflected upon in real time, in sequence. For better or worse these were the articles that I was exposed to and that allowed my awareness to broaden. Example: in 2. “The Lie,” after looking at it now, I do not see “All White People are racist,” as a lie. Unfortunately when discussing structural racism, children do not quite yet understand the nuances nor the complexities of racism. However, the rest of the video showcasing various other stereotypes is beautiful and encouraging.
“First Black Woman To Own Comic Shop Lands Marvel Cover,” by Zeba Blay (10/26/16) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/first-black-woman-to-own-comic-shop-lands-marvel-cover_us_5810b64ce4b08582f88cfa24
- “The Lie,” Kevin Pastor https://vimeo.com/182020903
- “How To Talk About #NoDAPL: A Native Perspective,” by Kelly Hayes (10/27/16) https://transformativespaces.org/2016/10/27/how-to-talk-about-nodapl-a-native-perspective/
- “Is Reverse Racism A Thing?” https://www.facebook.com/theRoot/videos/10157094038775231/
- “The veins of America: Stunning map shows every river basin in the US.” By CHEYENNE MACDONALD and MARK PRIGG (10/21/16) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3860062/The-veins-America-Stunning-map-shows-river-basin-US.html
- “Police: Wife Of Millbury Cop Faked Robbery, Vandalism Of Own Home.” (10/28/16) http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/10/28/millbury-police-officer-wife-report-robbery-home/
- “KING: White privilege sets Oregon militia members free,” by Shaun King. (10/28/16) http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-white-privilege-sets-oregon-militia-members-free-article-1.2848847
- “ICE Plans to Reopen the Very Same Private Prison the Feds Just Closed.” (10/27/16) https://www.thenation.com/article/ice-plans-to-reopen-the-very-same-private-prison-the-feds-just-closed/
- “Van Jones: How Prisons Hurt Communities.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZZmMrFQzVs
- “Latina Journalist Schools Trump Advisor Who Used the Term ‘Illegals’,” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro2GuaBG7KY
- “Even If Trump Loses, White Nationalists Say They’ve Won,” (11/2/16) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-white-nationalists_us_581a103be4b0a76e174c51bb
- “Dakota Access Pipeline Water Commercial – YouTube.” (11/5/16) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKvvIV3dso4
- “The Meaning Of #BlackGirlMagic, And How You Can Get Some Of It,” by Julee Wilson (1/12/16) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/what-is-black-girl-magic-video_us_5694dad4e4b086bc1cd517f4
- “White House, White Supremacy.” (11/11/16) https://www.facebook.com/ajplusenglish/videos/835329596608549/
- “‘Racial Battle Fatigue’ Is Real: Victims of Racial Microaggressions Are Stressed Like Soldiers in War,” by David Love. (11/11/16)
- “Watch Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Shut Down White Dude On What Racism Is.” (11/12/16) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chimamanda-ngozi-adichie-emmett-tyrrell-racism_us_582770e8e4b0c4b63b0cf282
- “EXPLAINING WHITE PRIVILEGE TO A BROKE WHITE PERSON…” by Gina Crosley-Corcoran http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explaining-white-privilege-broke-white-person
- “Stop Asking Me to Empathize With the White Working Class,” by Kali Holloway. (11/11/16) http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/stop-asking-me-empathize-white-working-class
- “DR. KING’S ADVICE TO PROTESTERS: “THE POWER OF ECONOMIC WITHDRAWAL.” (7/17/16) http://noirg.org/articles/dr-kings-advice-to-ferguson-the-power-of-economic-withdrawal/
- “What to Do About Trump? The Same Thing My Grandfather Did in 1930s Vienna,” by Liel Leibovitz. http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/217831/what-to-do-about-trump
- Watch “Indefensible: The Wrongful Prosecution of the UAlbany Three.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWt00kTmd4Y
- PLEASE DONATE to the UAlbany Bus Appeals Fund: https://www.youcaring.com/ualbanywomen-838155
- “I’m Not Calling You A Racist. I’m Calling You An Irresponsible, Privileged White Woman,” (11/16/16) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/im-not-calling-you-a-racist-im-calling-you-an-irresponsible_us_5824c5d7e4b01e4dcf34babd
- “On Donald Trump And White Leftists Who Want To Build Bridges,” (11/16/16) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/on-donald-trump-and-white-leftists-who-want-to-build_us_5826065de4b0852d9ec2155d
- “Ten Ways to Fight Hate: A Community Response Guide,” https://www.splcenter.org/20100216/ten-ways-fight-hate-community-response-guide
- “Toni Morrison: Fear Of Losing White Privilege Led To Trump’s Election,” by Zeba Blay. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/toni-morrison-fear-of-losing-white-privilege-led-to-trumps-election_us_58330ee2e4b058ce7aac0964
- “Donald Trump Is the Result of White Rage, Not Economic Anxiety,” (11/16/16) http://time.com/4573307/donald-trump-white-rage/
- “The Art of the Protest – The New York Times,” (11/21/16) https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/opinion/the-art-of-the-protest.html?_r=0
- “Letters To California Mosques Praise Donald Trump, Promise Genocide,” (11/26/16)
- “Make America Hate Again: Hate Speech and Crimes Post-Election,” http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/10/us/post-election-hate-crimes-and-fears-trnd/
- “I Shouldn’t Have To Debate The Value Of My Humanity With Anyone,” by Mungi Ngomane. (11/21/16) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joy-ngoma/atremath-of-the-us-electi_b_12930906.html
- “How Issa Rae’s ‘Insecure’ Validates, Expands On The Black Narrative,” by Rahel Gebreyes. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/issa-rae-insecure-black-tv-shows_us_57f2b38ee4b0c2407cdf3d96
- “8 Signs Your Yoga Practice Is Culturally Appropriated – And Why It Matters,” by Maisha Z. Johnson and nisha ahuja. http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/05/yoga-cultural-appropriation/
- “Does ‘Decoded’ Hate White People?” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDCADWyaiI
- “Native American Girls Describe the REAL History Behind Thanksgiving,” (11/22/16)
- “From Smallpox-Tainted Blankets to the #NoDAPL Evacuation: The Lie of Colonial Concern,” by Kelly Hayes. (11/29/16) http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/38549-from-smallpox-tainted-blankets-to-the-nodapl-evacuation-the-lie-of-colonial-concern
- “THE NEW WEST: STANDING ROCK A REMINDER OF THREE WORDS AMERICA CAN’T CONFRONT: HOMEGROWN AMERICAN GENOCIDE,” (12/2/16) http://www.explorebigsky.com/the-new-west-standing-rock-a-reminder-of-three-words-america-cant-confront-homegrown-american-genocide
- “Street Artist Delivers Powerful Message To White America,” by Priscilla Frank. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tatyana-fazlalizadeh-street-art_us_583c9912e4b04b66c01b53ea
- “2 Ways to be a positive change-maker: Reconciling conversations and peace-making,” (11/29/16) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-v-taylor/2-ways-to-be-a-positive-c_b_12950198.html
- Suggested-“Black Rights/White Wrongs: The Critique of Racial Liberalism.” Book by Charles W. Mills.
- Suggested-“CRITICAL RACE PRAXIS: RACE THEORY AND POLITICAL LAWYERING PRACTICE IN POSTCIVIL RIGHTS AMERICA,” by Eric K. Yamamoto. https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/handle/10125/35336/Yamamoto_95MichLRev821.pdf?sequence=1
- Suggested-“Cyber Racism: White Supremacy Online and the New Attack on Civil Rights,” Book By Jessie Daniels.
- Suggested-“White Women’s Rights: The Racial Origins of Feminism in the United States,” By Louise Michele Newman.
- “How Fantasy Film Plays On The Black Experience While Erasing Black People,” by Zeba Blay. (12/2/16) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how-fantasy-film-plays-on-the-black-experience-while-erasing-black-people_us_583f36e6e4b09e21702c5de2
- “Black Lives Matter. Now What?” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/black-lives-matter-now-what_us_5841c224e4b0cf3f64558965
- Suggested- “Buddha Or Karl Marx,” Book by B. R. Ambedkar.
- “The Scourge of Racial Bias in New York State’s Prisons,” (12/3/16) https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/03/nyregion/new-york-state-prisons-inmates-racial-bias.html
- “For Blacks Facing Parole in New York State, Signs of a Broken System,” (12/4/16)
- “The Stain of Racism in New York’s Prisons,” (12/6/16)
- “11 Black Athletes & Celebs Who Took A Stand Against Injustice In 2016,” by Brennan Williams. (12/9/16) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/11-black-athletes-celebrities-took-stand-against-injustice-2016_us_584b1c20e4b04c8e2bafec94
- “Florida’s broken sentencing system,” http://projects.heraldtribune.com/bias/sentencing/
- Become more familiar with your local legislation, crime sentences, etc. Mass incarceration and the school-to-prison-pipeline is egregious. If you havn’t yet:
- READ MICHELLE ALEXANDER’S “THE NEW JIM CROW.”
- Unlearning White Supremacy 210 will be out shortly. I just have to go back to my other Saved Links, and scroll on through…