Imagine an environment free from gravity, strain, tension, or pain. Imagine if you could Float effortlessly in a euphoric state without distractions or unwanted noise. YOU CAN!
True REST (Restricted Environmental Stimulus Therapy) is a zero gravity environment that allows the mind and body to truly rest. Flotation Therapy is a special solution of salinated water utilizing 1,200 pounds of Epsom salt. The buoyancy makes floating on water feel like floating on air. Without any effort you can relieve pain, heal faster, relax, de-stress, improve sleep, and have fun in this unique state. The benefits are staggering and the experience is Beyond Euphoria.
True REST gives immense pain relief, euphoric relaxation, and allows for better and deeper sleep. A recent Pain study shows 70% of participants getting FULL pain relief during a Float session.
You are in complete control of each Float and can customize your session with lighting and music.
True REST features an ADA compliant REST Suite, with ample room for wheelchair access and a ADA compliant shower. Many clients with severe fibromyalgia and other movement restricting problems find this specially designed room very helpful.
Each REST Suite contains a changing area and private showers. The Pod is automatically cleaned and disinfected after each use and will be pristine for every client, every visit.
The Center features a Prep Room, used after a Float for hair drying and other preparation.
John C. Lilly, a medical practitioner and neuro-psychiatrist, developed the flotation tank in 1954. During his training in psychoanalysis at the US National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), Lilly commenced experiments with sensory deprivation. In neurophysiology, there had been an open question as to what keeps the brain going and the origin of its energy sources. One hypothesis was that the energy sources are biological and internal and do not depend upon the outside environment. It was argued that if all stimuli are cut off to the brain then the brain would go to sleep. Lilly decided to test this hypothesis and, with this in mind, created an environment which totally isolated an individual from external stimulation. From here, he studied the origin of consciousness and its relation to the brain.
Peter Suedfeld and Roderick Borrie of the University of British Columbia began experimenting on the therapeutic benefits of flotation tank usage in the late 1970s. They named their technique “Restricted Environmental Stimulation Therapy” (REST).
Tank design and usage
In the original tanks, people were required to wear complicated head-masks to breathe underwater and uncomfortable tight clothing that constricted the blood flow in certain areas, but the mask and clothing detracted from the isolation experience. The tight fit of the mask seal around the face and the retention strips wrapping around the back of the head were uncomfortable in long sessions. The constant hissing of the air valves and bubbling of exhaust air out of the mask prevented the possibility of silence. The faceplate of the mask was typically solid black for visual isolation, but then the tank user needed help entering and leaving the isolation tank since the mask blinded them. The tight neoprene clothing was extremely uncomfortable in sensitive areas such as the genitalia, and constricted blood flow and mobility in other areas.
In newer tanks, epsom salt is added to the water in the tank to increase the density of the water so that the subject floats with the face above the water. However, since the ears are submerged when the subject is in a relaxed position, hearing is greatly reduced, particularly when ear-plugs are also used. When the arms float to the side, skin sensation is greatly reduced because the air and water are the same temperature as the skin, and the feeling of a body boundary fades. The sense of smell is also greatly reduced, especially if the water has not been treated with chlorine.
Flotation Therapy Preparation
- REST is perhaps the easiest pastime imaginable. The only precaution that you should take is that you should not shave, wax, or tan at all on the day of your REST session. The high salt content of the water can be irritating to freshly shaved, tanned or waxed skin. We provide Vaseline in every room for people to cover any small cuts and grazes.
- Please do not wear any hair or skin products prior to floating. If you have hair coloring that has not set you cannot go in the tank
until the color is set and nothing washes out in the shower.
- You do not want to be hungry while Floating, but try to leave about 30 minutes before the Float.
- Avoid caffeine 4 hours prior to your Float. You must not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Females on their menstrual cycle are NOT permitted in the Float Pod. Please reschedule if you have already made an appointment.
Your First Float
- Your first Float will start out with a 5 minute Introductory Video on flotation therapy and the True REST Float Center.
- You will be taken to the Quiet Room where you will replace your shoes with sandals (Epsom salts can be corrosive to shoes and clothes. You may not want to wear your “best” clothes.) We recommend bringing a towel, but you can rent a big fluffy one from us for $3.
The Float Suite
- Upon entering the private room you will rinse off in a warm shower
- Each room contains earplugs and Vaseline to cover up small cuts and grazes. We recommend earplugs to avoid swimmers ear and salt in your ear canal.(Epsom salts can irritate freshly shaved skin and we do NOT recommend floating on the day of a shave, waxing, or tan.)
Entering the REST Pod
- Upon entering the pod the automatic sensors will start your full 60 minute float session. The lights remain on until you turn them off. The water is heated to skin temperature, and even though it is only 10 inches deep, it contains 1,200 pounds of our specially formulated salt directly imported from Germany. This is the reason you are able to float on the surface.
- Climb into the pod and lie back gently, the buoyancy will lift you up. It is difficult to gauge how relaxed you are whilst floating, but will you notice afterward! Clients with sports injuries or back pain experience some discomfort in the early stages. One’s brain focuses on even minor sensations due to a complete lack of “feeling” elsewhere. Keep relaxed and the aches and pains will drift away. (RELAX! Your body and head are completely supported by the water. You do not need to force you head up and your are in no danger of rolling over. Try touching the bottom of the pods with your hands…it is very difficult.)
- Music will begin as soon as you enter the Pod. Music lasts 10 minutes in the beginning followed by silence and 5 minutes at the end of your session. It will take awhile for your brain to settle down, but the music is designed to distract you from your own thoughts. Try humming to yourself while in the Pod or hum when you exhale. It will sound powerful and loud and can be quite fun. Please do not become frustrated if it takes your mind a bit to settle down as everyone experiences this at first.The real benefits are normally only noticed after the session is complete.
- Remember you are in a private room, so you can leave the pod door open if you wish (you may feel a chill if you leave it open the entire hour), alternatively you can prop it partially open with your towel, rolled up. You might want to leave the pod’s interior light on. (Switch is to your right while lying down).
- If you get salt in your eyes there is a bottle of pure water hanging inside the pod.
Ending the Session
- Music will begin at the end of your session letting you know your time is up. If you fall asleep the lights will turn on gradually and the automatic purification system will start, waking you up. If this doesn’t work and you are still asleep you may hear a knock on the door.
- Upon exiting the REST pod make sure to thoroughly rinse off all salty water and to rinse your ears thoroughly, as in rare cases crystalline salt can cause ear aches. Salt can be corrosive to clothes, but is great for skin and hair. Epsom salts don’t rob your skin of salt, thus there is no pruning or wrinkling, but instead your skin will be left soft and silky.
- Please try to vacate the room within 10 minutes at the end of your session, as we need to prepare for the next client. Enjoy your float session!
- Upon getting your clothes back on you are free to re-claim your shoes or use our Prep Room for hair drying or makeup.
- Improves athletic performance and helps prevent sports injuries, speeds healing process
- Decreases the production of Cortisol, ACTH, Lactic Acid, and Adrenaline
- Increases the production of endorphins
- Quickens rehabilitation and recovery
- Relieves pain from arthritis, migraines, injuries, etc.
- Boosts immune function
- Improves circulation
- Increases distribution of oxygen and nutrients
- Reduces blood pressure, pulse, heart rate and oxygen consumption
General Well Being
- Promotes total calm and peaceful relaxation
- Eliminates fatigue and jet lag
- Improves sleep
- Alleviates stress (mental and physical)
- Energizes, rejuvenates and revitalizes
Left/Right Brain Synchronization
- Shifts brain waves from the Beta to Alpha, Theta and even Delta
- Better mental clarity and alertness
- Increases creativity and problem solving ability
- Intensifies acuteness of all the senses
- Accelerates learning
- Diminishes depression, anxiety and fear
- Facilitates freedom from habits, phobias and addictions