Artwork of the Elder of the Scar Clan courtesy of Joanna Powell Colbert.
My friend and teacher Joanna Powell Colbert is doing her Hallowmas eCourse again! The course fee is $127.00. But wait! there’s an EARLY BIRD PRICE of $115 through Wednesday, October 16th. I took this course last year, and I have to say it completely transformed the way I looked at All Hallows and Halloween. This 5-week course will infuse you in the mists of the season. Here is a little snippet of the course, and if you are interested click on the like above to sign-up at any time (but is funner when you are doing it alongside everyone else and you can compare notes)
This course gives you a reason to carve out time for yourself, to nurture your spirit and your creative self-expression, and to connect with the natural world as we turn inward and trust the wisdom of the darkness.
All Hallow’s Eve. Hallowmas. Hallowe’en. Samhain. Dia de los Muertos. All Soul’s Day.
Whatever name we give this holy-day, and whatever cultures we draw upon in our celebrations, it all comes down to honoring our Beloved Dead, our ancestors, and the dark, fallow time of the year.
It is the season of the Old One, the Crone, the Cailleach, the Grandmother, the Elder.
Leaves fall. Seeds disperse. Squirrels tuck away provisions for winter. The wooly caterpillar finds a winter home in a bark crevice. Bucks, with their great antlers, are ready to fight other males to win a mate. Leafless trees reveal birds’ nests. Colors that are ablaze in October become the grayed, muted tones of November. The first hard frost ends the summer garden and sends small animals scurrying to their winter homes. Everything in the landscape seems to die, and energy is stored in roots, as all beings withdraw to slumber and dream sweet winter’s dream.
“The challenge of the season initiated by [All Hallow’s Eve] is to enter a place of stillness,” writes Ruth Barrett, “and simply be where you are: not moving forward or backward but being utterly present, suspended in the space between past and future. It is here that we listen to the voices in the crackling fire, rain, and wind. We enter the dark season of the year to dream and remember, before we begin to make our return after Winter Solstice.”
The “Gaian Soul Practices for Hallowmas ~ Samhain ~ All Souls”course helps you make room in your daily life for mindful creative expression. You’ll align yourself with the rhythms of nature as you enter the fallow, dreaming time, and honor your Beloved Dead.
Each week, we look at a different motif of the seasonal tide:
Week 1: Honoring Our Beloved Dead (Oct 20 – 26)
Week 2: Celebrating All Hallow’s Eve & All Soul’s Day (Oct 27 – Nov 2)
Week 3: Season of the Crone (Nov 3 – 9)
Week 4: Honoring Our Ancestral Lineage, Healing Ancestral Wounds (Nov 10 – 16)
Week 5: Contemplating End-of-Life & Leaving a Legacy (Nov 17 – 22)
My hope for you is that, through this course, you will:
- Become more in tune with the rhythms of nature as you mindfully experience the season of the Crone, Hallowmas, Samhain, Dia de los Muertos, All Soul’s Day.
- Create the habit of reflective journal writing and art-making (including photography).
- Learn to be present and alert to the deeper, hidden messages of the festival of Hallowmas / Samhain.
- Spend regular time with Mama Gaia, allowing Her to heal and nourish you.
- Cultivate your own self-expression through creative practices that lead to self-discovery, healing and wisdom.
“Joanna has the eyes of a visual artist and the soul of a poet. Intuitively I was drawn to sign up not only for the first of her Seasons course — Midwinter — but for all of them. And I am so very glad I listened to my intuition. Each posting is instructive, thoughtful and thought-provoking, wise and well-rounded. She prompts reflection through art, spirituality and deep connection with the natural world in postings every week. I feel myself leaning into the new year with renewed hope and fresh expectancy. Joanna has once again gone above and beyond in creating these courses.” — Mary Montanye
Here’s how it works:
- Each Sunday you’ll receive an email with a reflection written by me on that week’s theme. The same material will be available in video and audio formats, so you can choose the learning style that works best for you.
- There will also be ideas for an art project, a nature activity, and a contemplative practice. Choose one that calls to you. Do the others if the spirit moves you.
- Each day (Monday through Friday), you’ll receive a short email with aninspirational photo, quotation, and journaling prompt.
- You’ll be invited to join a private online discussion forum where you can share insights with other companions on the journey. You’ll be able to post photos of your art projects or your photography, and share any writing you might do.
- When the entire course is over, you’ll receive a printable PDF handout with all of my written reflections, plus the daily inspirational quotes and journaling prompts.
It’s entirely up to you how much you do.
I hope you give yourself the gift of self-nurturing time, and join me!
The course fee is $127.00. But wait! there’s an EARLY BIRD PRICE of $115 through Wednesday, October 16th.